Classes of hosting solutions
A hosting solution applies to storing and/or sharing particular content on a web server handled by a web hosting company. There are various categories of hosting services used for various goals, so let's have a glimpse at them. In that way, you can conclude what you need, depending on whether you'd like to build a blog, mail addresses, or to share files with friends and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service made available by certain companies, which allows you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its only aim is to share files, since it does not offer website uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view an index of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to load .html or .php website files in your browser. Free-of-cost file storage plans are frequently supported by showing adverts by the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a given stretch of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file hosting account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limit as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting merchants, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is an entirely mistaken explanation of the literal meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would assign the load between individual groups of servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending different web site hosting services (email, storage space, statistics, DNS, databases, web site hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a sort of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; given corporations offer a hosting service for images solely. This hosting variant is suitable if you would like to share a great number of images with chums or associates since the service is generally free of charge. You will receive a randomly generated link for each image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be utilized for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution committed to handling your email addresses. Some firms provide website hosting services for web pages, but do not provide an e-mail hosting solution. If you want to open an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to run a website, then the email hosting service is what you need. You can create mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The e-mail hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a specific video, or you can embed the video clip in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of utilizing this method instead of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video brings about a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with a couple of video clips and several hundred site viewers, you may have a hard time with your web site hosting supplies. Embedding the video file will enable you to possess as many videos as you want to without worrying about system reserves.
- Web site hosting: this is the solution that you need if you desire to own a web site. To a certain degree, it comprises all of the aforementioned hosting groups since, along with your websites, you can also host images and files, you can create databases and emails, upload video files, etc. At Free Hostia, for example, you can take a glance at web hosting and dedicated hosting services that enable you to get all of the aforementioned services in one single location. There may be restrictions depending on the form of hosting solution that you've selected - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web site hosting account may be better or worse juxtaposed to the common e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are designed for specific web content only.